Home » Sustainable » Raw Material (PVC)

Raw Material (PVC)


Raw Material (PVC) According to the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), PVC is suitable for the standards of sustainable construction because it fully meets the LEED system (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).
Learn more about the main advantages of PVC:

Low dependency on oil

One of the most important and beneficial environmental aspects of PVC is in the origin of its inputs: chlorine, ethylene and water.
The main raw material of PVC is sea salt, a renewable natural resource. Chlorine is obtained from it, which represents 57% of the PVC in weight. The remaining 43% is obtained from petroleum, used in the form of ethylene. Nevertheless, PVC consumes only 0.3% of the petroleum extracted in the world.

PVC is 100% recyclable

The PVC recycling rate has grown year by year in Brazil, reaching a level near the plastic recycling average of countries in the European Union.
PVC is the plastic with the least presence in weight in urban waste, at only 0.7%, and represents 4.7% of total plastic discarded.

PVC is a durable material

PVC products for construction last from 50 to 100 years, thus they are not classified as disposable products. In 2005, the USGBC – United States Green Building Council showed that PVC has environmental performance similar to that of other materials applied in civil construction.

PVC presents benefits for the environment

It stands out as an excellent thermal insulator, contributing to reduction of electrical power consumption and gas emissions which cause the greenhouse effect. Its impermeability guarantees, for example, that the water table does not run the risk of being contaminated during sewage transfer.

PVC improves people’s lives

It is non-toxic, light, resistant, impermeable and non-flammable. For that reason, it is recommended for diverse applications, including perfect water and sewage transfer.

Other advantages of PVC

  • • Lightness of the material allows the use of lighter vehicles for transport, which are consequently more economical and have lower carbon emissions.
  • • Simplicity of installation allows inclusion of thousands of professionals in the work market.
Building Infrastructure Irrigation Industry
Sustainable
TIGRE Group